I spent a few evenings recently working on the Jessica Fletcher doll I've been making for too long. She is very slowly getting there!
After figuring out how I wanted her head to look (I made 6 in total) and attaching it to her neck, I decided to start from the top and work my way down. So first I made her hair from some felt scraps (there's a reason not to throw anything out!), sculpting the lovely 80's 'do.
Then I made her face. Here she is in progression- Angela is only delighted!
Next came Jessica's blouse. I did exactly what I would do if making a blouse for myself- I measured her waist, bust, shoulders and arm length; then drew up the pattern based on these measurements. I forgot to take photos of this before cutting it all out, but I did have to tweek the pattern in a few places before the blouse looked how I wanted. I didn't bother with a detailed collar on it as I knew the scarf would hide it, but the I needed the sleeves to look right, so I hand-stitched in the sleeves to the shoulders. The rest is machine stitched. And yes, the blouse is removable- there are invisible fasteners on the front...
Her scarf is just a (kinda poorly) hemmed rectangle of cotton.
The last piece I have made so far is her skirt. Again, maths was used to work out the measurements needed for a box-pleat skirt. And like the blouse, it's removable! I'd wear this myself...
Still to be made: SHOES! I've made 5 or 6 different shoes already for her and none of them are good enough for Jessica. These will come.... Along with a typewriter, her murder-book (I've nearly finished this;-), her glasses and a bicycle. Woohoo!